Bi News Update
A Periodic Roundup of News About and Affecting the Bi+ Community, Curated by BQAC.
Rita Ora’s Single “Girls” Stirred Debate Over Portrayals of Bisexuality. Although billed as a bisexual anthem, many queer women criticized the song as trivializing bisexuality and as catering to the male gaze.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration Approved PrEP for Bisexual and Gay Teens. In a move hailed as a victory in the fight against HIV, an FDA study confirmed the effectiveness of PrEP in connection with safer sex practices among HIV-negative individuals aged 15-17.
Bisexual Representation on TV Continues to Improve. Caroline Framke at Vox wrote about how bi+ characters are becoming more common in scripted TV. In other bi+ media news, GLAAD called for 20% of movies to feature LGBT characters by 2021, and bisexual woman of color Halsey won “Outstanding Music Artist” at the 29th annual GLAAD media awards.
Bisexual and Gay Teens Are Using Dating Apps to Find Community. A Northwestern Medicine study found that more than 50% of sexually active bisexual and gay male teens age 14-17 use apps such as Grindr and Scruff to find friends and boyfriends.
A New Study Indicates Stress is Linked to Diabetes in Lesbian and Bisexual Women. The San Diego State University study analyzed survey data dating back to 1989, and found that bisexual and lesbian women were 27 percent more likely to develop diabetes than heterosexual women.
Upcoming BQAC and Chicago-area Happenings:
- Bi Movie Night: Rebel Without a Cause, June 4, 2018, 7:00 PM at the Center on Halsted
- Aurora Pride Parade: Sunday, June 17, 2018. Join BQAC at the lineup between 10:00 AM and 12:00 noon between Benton Street and North Avenue in Aurora, IL.
- Bi Move Night: Sunday, Bloody Sunday, June 18, 2018, 7:00 PM at the Center on Halsted.
- Midsommarfest: June 10, 2018, 2:00 PM. Email BQAC for meeting location details.
- Bi Discussion Group: June 23, 2018, 2:00 PM at the Center on Halsted
- Bi Pride Dinner: June 23, 2018, 6:00 – 9:00 PM, at Andie’s, 5253 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL